Skip to main content

I should really put a stop...

... to ending all my subject lines with that annoying ELLIPSIS.

No, seriously, I have been thinking about the ecological ramifications of my non-stop all-summer-long drinking straw use.
It's only one straw at a time, but BOY do I use a lot of them.

This is just about the only disposable product I use on a regular basis except toilet paper.

Ooh - let's Google it!

Here's an Eco-Straw that promises "total disintegration will take place within two years", plus, it comes in bendy/clear and bendy/green, along with the more funerary straight/black.

Uh-oh. One site promises that though "straws may look tiny," they could pose a "huge environmental threat." The hysterical hyperbole continues: "A rough estimation of two to three straws are used by a person per week. [NOTE: I am well above this in the hot months, but perhaps counter it by allowing the kids to only use straws on Shabbos] How many straws are used in North America per week? And how many landfill spaces are still available?"

(umm... okay, as concerned as I am, I think we are still good for "landfill spaces" for drinking straws...)

Unfortunately, the site, TT Co, makers of the "Enviro-Straw" appears to have its website down at the moment. Perhaps they were overrun by drinking straws.

Oh, yay, BAMBOO straws! This company promises their Genuine Bamboo Drinking Straws will help with whatever beverage I choose to "wet my whistle." Once again, there is the threat that if I don't switch to bamboo, "seabirds young and old [may be] found dead with a bellyfull of plastic cigarette lighters, toothbrushes, STRAWS, and all sorts of other junk." Not worth it for a quickie frappu, is it??? Of course, the bamboo alternative costs about $0.65 per straw.

And believe it or not, I am concerned about the ecological ramifications of overculturing bamboo, as well. If it's not made of corn, these days, it is definitely made of bamboo. Hey, I wonder if somebody makes a corn-based straw???

Why is Naomi refusing to eat, by the way? One theory I came up with is that it's her reaction to the incredible oversupply of food in our culture. Seeing it all in the supermarket, potato room and everywhere else she goes... what kid wouldn't be overwhelmed and just want a piece of celery or an apple? Guess I shouldn't complain, right?! :-)

And meanwhile, YES! Here we are! A completely bio-degradable (in 45-60 days) corn-based drinking straw!!!
"Made from corn, an annually renewable resource, NatureWorks PLA is a plastic-like resin that is fully compostable." OKAY! And yes, I'm actually starting to wonder if there will be any corn left for me to actually eat this year. Or anything else for me to eat next year, if every single farm is growing corn, corn, CORN to feed the trend towards bio-products.

Just curious... and meanwhile, I have a brand-new package of cheapo, JUMBO non-corn-based plastic (not plastic-like resin, not compostable) straws just waiting for the next time my delicate teeth need to sip an ultra-cold bevvie in the hot, stinky summer's day!

Thanks for tuning in to this episode of the "Cranky Old Bat" report. Aaaaack! Does that spell COB??!? As in CORN?!?
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th