Skip to main content

It's complaints day!!! (TTC elevators)

From an incident coming home on Sunday where the subway elevator was so crowded that I actually couldn't fit on with the carriage:  it was full of people who looked (ok, I hate to jump to conclusions, but here I go) perfectly able-bodied.  I finally stood holding the elevator door and said, "if anybody here does NOT need an elevator, could you please get out???"  A guy quickly left the elevator, and I got on no problem with the carriage (Ted, YM and Naomi took the escalator, of course!).
 
So here's what I told the TTC - not that they will respond... they never reply:
"I'd like to let you know about an ongoing problem with the elevators at Eglinton West subway (mostly the northbound side).  I often travel with small children in a stroller or wagon, and when I do, we use the elevator.  (If I'm by myself, I happily use the escalators)
 
I've noticed that almost every time the subway comes, the elevator is immediately rushed by people who don't seem like they need an elevator.  That makes it very hard for people with a legitimate need to get an elevator - we have to rush or we won't make it, and if we do make it, sometimes it's too crowded for everyone to fit.
 
Obviously, it's not my place to decide who does and does not need an elevator, but many times, it usually seems like most of the people packed in are fairly young and seem to walk without difficulty - even sometimes sprinting to catch the elevator.
 
A friend pointed out two possible explanations:  on the lower level, the elevator is simply closer than the escalator, and also, upstairs, it drops off its passengers closer to the buses.  Taking the escalator involves the inconvenience of walking farther from the subway plus also walking farther to the bus.  To me, however, this doesn't excuse people for taking advantage of the elevator when they could easily take the escalator.
 
I really appreciate the elevators which have made the transit system reasonably accessible (I never took the subway or buses with my first two children).  And, beyond the immediate inconvenience of a crowded elevator, I resent their overuse, which will probably lead to excessive wear, additional expense and outages.
 
Perhaps the problem could be addressed with signage at the elevator door or in the elevators themselves, explaining exactly who the elevator is for (folks with walkers, wheelchairs, strollers, guide dogs, etc...not just people tired out at the end of a long day of shopping). 
 
I don't really know what else to suggest, but thought I'd call this to your attention in the hope that someone there might be some solution in the works, since Eglinton West is probably not the only station where accessibility features are being abused.
 
Feedback on this issue would be most appreciated."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th