Skip to main content

Alright, I really AM going to do it!

These all look WAY too much like grocery bags to overlook, and I was
heartbroken about not having any way to grow potatoes this year.

So here's the plan!

~ One upside-down tomato in my relatively expensive Vesey's hanging
planter ($20)
~ Two (or more?) upside-down tomatoes in fabric grocery bags - the
large black ($1.99) president's choice ones look big enough (the new
$0.99 size are probably too small).
~ Two right-side-up grocery bags, maybe the stiffer-sided recycled
plastic kind (probably also $1.99, from Sobey's or Dominion, okay,
Metro), with potatoes. Bit of compost in the bottom, mound it up as
they grow... perfect! (or am I just gearing up for yet another
tired-potato failure?)

My inspirations, just for comparison:

~ Stiff-sided grocery "potato" bags for £6.99 each - I could make that!:
http://www.greenfingers.com/superstore/product.asp?dept_id=252&pf_id=LS4691D
~ Squishy plastic "tomato" bags for $12.95 (US) each - I could make that!:
http://www.gardeners.com/Potato-Bin/36-629,default,pd.html?SC=
~ Slippery plastic "potato" bags for $16.49 each - plus shipping!:
http://www.stokeseeds.com/cgi-bin/StokesSeeds.storefront/49edf405051924aa2744cf366ce30682/Product/View/B842
~ Another floppy-sided veggie grow-bag from $5 and up (depends on size):
http://www.smartpots.com/edibles

Why pay $10-20 bucks for what looks for all the world like a grocery
bag...? Well, maybe this summer I'll find out by failing miserably
the cheapo way.

Here's an inspirational video from a guy whose entire edibles garden
is in containers, including some - if I recall correctly - hanging
from a tree in grocery bags.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qja6TZTl1SY

My big challenge is going to be finding places to hang the bags in our
space-challenged backyard (we've had to remove most overhanging tree
branches for the obvious reason that you can't grow veg without
sunlight - despite limited raspberry success in the garage shade).

Home depot has hangy thingies for $20-something. That's a lot to
shell out for a hook, high up in the air. :-o

Maybe hang one or more from brackets attached to the sukkah brackets
or on the bricks themselves somehow? (given that we'll need the
sukkah brackets for Sukkos, which will naturally fall right when the
tomato plants are too big to move!)

Or dare I hang a couple from the tree in the FRONT??? Hmm...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th