Skip to main content

Parrot in a Penguin World

Last night, after Shabbos, I was supposed to take boy-boy to yeshiva at 8:15.  At 10 past 8, he was still sitting at the table having a snack, when I said "let's go!" and rushed him out the door.  I was supposed to pick up Elisheva's friend at 8:30, and have them both at an event by 9, and I didn't feel like sitting watching him have a leisurely eating time.

Anyway.  He did rush.

He rushed right out the door, into the car, buckled up, and away we went.

We pull up at his school and I turn to look at him to make sure he's reasonably neat and well-presented.  He's 15 years old, mind you, but anyway:  they never stop needing a last-minute check. 

Me:  "Run in and find out what time you're done... wait a second."  (noticing)  "Where's your hat?"

YM:  "I must have left it at home."

Me (noticing even more:  the worst possible thing):  "Where's your white shirt?"

Yes, it's true.  He was a parrot in a penguin world of boys in suits and bright white Shabbos shirts streaming into the yeshiva.  Still wearing his bright red shirt with the black stripes (or is it a black shirt with red stripes?).  He had on a suit, but also the very colourful shirt.

YM:  "I'm not going in."

Because #1, it's against school rules, and #2, the kids would probably make fun of him.

Me:  "Well, we're not going home.  Get out."  Because it's his fault.  He was eating and didn't care what he was wearing until it's too late.  I figure he should find out the consequences, whatever they are.

"I'm not going in.  I'll stay in the car, I'll go home, I'll change, I'll come back."  (but night seder after Shabbos isn't very long)

"I'm not going straight home.  I have to pick up Elisheva's friend, and take them to their thing... no."

"No.  I will not go in."

"Then get out, take the bus."

Back and forth a few more times, and at last, he gets out and goes up the stairs, slowly.

The result was he couldn't attend night seder.  His rebbe apparently asked him to go learn in the kollel next door instead.  He didn't even know there was a kollel next door; neither did I.

I guess that's a reasonably good compromise:  he still gets in some learning but doesn't corrupt the boys, or incur their teasing, by exposing his scandalous rebel-red shirt to the fluorescent light of the artificial yeshiva day.

Wearing colourful shirts on Shabbos is his little rebellion. 

(bear in  mind that two of his regular "colourful" shirts are blue and black; not all that rebellious, if you think about it)

I don't know if I will buy him more in colours or start buying better-quality white ones (like with cufflinks) for Shabbos.

On the one hand, I want him to feel comfortable wearing coloured shirts.  The hippie mama in me says it's the only wardrobe self-expression he gets these days, and that, only on Shabbos.

BUT... I also deeply want him to own the "yeshiva bochur" role, and part of that may mean rejecting his colourful shirts at some point in the future.

If that means paying for nice white shirts, so be it.  Actually, I'm hoping he grows into adult sizes soon enough that I can keep shopping at Value Village - they have TONS of really nice quality men's shirts for super-cheap.  If that means paying for cufflinks, so be it also.

(Value Village also carries cufflinks, however.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th