Skip to main content

Assumptions of Frumkeit

Way in the deep-dark pompous past, my first husband and I knew a young girl (16 or 17?) who we wanted to be makarev (reach out to, spiritually).  I didn’t know much about her except she went to a public school; she wore pants.  (gasp)

So we invited her and she came over for Shabbos lunch, carrying a cake she’d baked at home (gasp! on two counts, as there wasn’t a widely-accepted eiruv here at the time).  I just set the cake aside politely; with that iffy eiruv, there was no way any Jew could derive benefit from it on Shabbos, even if it did happen to be kosher.

During lunch, conversation turned to Jewish stuff, and at one point, when we were talking (pompously hinting?) about our own journey to frumkeit, I remember she said, “I don’t know… I guess I’ve always been frum.”

And we were like – WHAT?  Glanced at each other:  startled, knowing glances that said… Crazy!  If that’s frum, well, I’ll eat my sheitel.

Because her family wasn’t at all what we would  have considered frum.  Meaning the father wore a kippah srugah, the kids went to public high schools.  The mother didn’t cover her hair except with a flimsy hat, and then, only in shul, not on the bus to work.  The family davened at a “modern” Orthodox shul near us – the one we wouldn’t have gone into if it was the last shul in town.

So now I sometimes look at people who are more velvet-kippah than us, more black-hat, more turban-and-shtreimel than us, more big-house-at-Bath/Lawrence than us…or whatever it might be… and, well, I wonder if they’re looking at us, talking about us, wondering how they could possibly be mekarev us, bring us closer to the light of a Torah way of life. 

Convince me to wear knee highs, tights or (gasp!) pantihose.  Convince Ted to go learn more often (okay, that would be nice!).  Convince me that my spare time would be better spent in shiurim than sign language.  Convince us that our children should have exclusively Jewish friends. 

Convince us to build safe, insular Jewish lives to protect what frumkeit we have struggled to attain.  I have to admit, the appeal of it is clear.  However, I also have to admit that I’m breathing easier this year at Elisheva’s school, where I can turn up in a ballcap or a tichel or whatever and not be the only mama not wearing a sheitel.  In fact, it’s a pretty sure bet that some mamas won’t have their heads covered at all, something I haven’t seen for a few years.

And I like it.  But is that because I truly believe that there is a spectrum of yiddishkeit and each of us must work out our own place… that whether or how I cover my hair, and live my Jewish life, is essentially a private matter between me and Hashem.

Or is it just the old arrogance, resurfacing?  Is it because I get to feel super-frum compared to the mamas who don’t cover their hair at all, the ones I see around the community in pants?

I like to think I’ve matured since those deep-dark crazy-BT days when you couldn’t be truly “frum” unless you were “MY kind of frum.”  But I don’t truly know. 

The shul, by the way… the one my first husband and I wouldn’t have gone into if it was the last shul in town?  Well, we ended up living quite close, and I had young kids, and we were on our own, and, well, after a while it became our Synagogue of First Recourse.  I never did love it – too geriatric for my taste – but the rabbi and rebbetzin were very kind to us and the kids’ program wasn’t terrible. 

Bobov, it wasn’t… but it turned out neither was I.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th