Skip to main content

How I spent my birthday

Me, this morning:  “What dreams did you have?”

Naomi Rivka:  “I dreamed about all my favourite actors…”

“Like who?”

“Tinkerbell, Cinderella… and Dora.”

Right now they are sitting in high chairs, eating breakfast and screaming “Barium,” Gavriel Zev’s version of Naomi Rivka’s version of my middle name (Miriam).

Yesterday:

  • Annoying 2 hours retrieving a friend’s voicemail messages.  I thought it would take half an hour… ugh.
  • Ted took kiddies out to buy my surprise (no luck:  they’re closed for 2 months or something)
  • Out to lunch with Mommy – Bistro Grande, fish & chips – yum!
  • Up to Cayne’s:  new cutlery for 12, yay!
  • Cemetery.  Beth Tzedek cemetery doesn’t have individual headstones, just a main headstone for the family (so my father was buried under my mother’s maiden name) and a temp_newcorelleflat stone on the ground for each person.  Couldn’t find the stone on the ground so we shuffled around for a bit trying to clear it.  Made corny jokes about dancing on his grave.  Chucked a couple of little rocks in the general direction of where my mother thought the stone was.
  • Down to the Corning outlet:  new dishes for 12, yay!
  • Home, exhausted.  Check on Ted and the kids.  Put out a few metaphorical fires.  Play Farmville.
  • Rush out to shul.  Pick up my mother, shul for mincha, kaddish.  Leave before Maariv:  we’re done, after all!
  • Pick up Elisheva from school – arrive early, get Second Cup and wait for her.
  • Take Elisheva and my mother to Yorkdale, say goodbye to my mother (she just wanted a ride; she was going to The Bay to return something).
  • temp_uggsVisit every single $#!^ shoe store in Yorkdale.  There are lots.  Examine the same five models of boots in every single store.
  • Issue ultimatum:  “you are not leaving here until you choose boots.”  Veto the boots she ultimately chooses because – well, look at them!  They are not boots, they are socks.
  • Leave Yorkdale without boots.  Elisheva works through her frustration and proposes a plan whereby she is allowed to buy the “socks” if she also buys a pair of Value Village “decoy boots” to wear outside in the cold and winter weather.
  • Rush home, pick up YBoy, take him to learning.
  • Drive to Value Village.
  • Find a $10 pair of boots that fit and that will do just fine.  Browse, buy some other stuff just to work out my own frustration.
  • Pick up YBoy, return home.
  • Put kiddies to bed.
  • Supper!  Chicken and rice, originally delicious, I’m sure, but eventually cold and dry, dry, DRY.  But at least I was good and hungry from all my birthday/yahrzeit adventures.
  • Two shots of my father’s grave, courtesy of Google maps:

    temp_grave1

    temp_grave2

    Hey, I never realized you could see it right from Bathurst, but I think that divot in the earth really is it.  That will save time:  just toss the rocks out the window as we drive past!

    Naomi Rivka (eating lunch now – we’ve been out for a while):  “I’m going to live in Israel, and I’m going to tell all the people at Kever Rochel that I have a friend and her middle name is Rochel – Yakira Rochel.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th