Skip to main content

Gaaaaah! I can’t! Cannot do it anymore!

I have to say it!  I can’t stop myself!  Last year, I made it ‘till February 4th, but a series of warm days this week have totally messed up my seasonal “navigation system,” and I have to HAVE TO shout it from the rooftops:

WINTER IS ALMOST OVER.

Okay, not technically true.  But as my sister Sara often says (yes, my sisters can be as tedious as me sometimes), there’s more summer in September than there is in June.  Yet we think of June as a summer month, and September as fall.  Ditto with winter.  We think of March as a spring month, but it really is mostly winter, more so than December.

What have I just proven?  I think I’ve just gone the other way and proven we have way more winter left to go. 

But it’s not true.  Look, I’ll prove it to you!  Look at this chart, courtesy of Weather.com.  See that dip at the very beginning?  Minus THREE.  That’s the average high for a typical January day around here.   (Weather.com says that means 27 degrees, for those of you who don’t believe water freezes at zero like we do)

image

So anyway… if you zoom in a bit on the details, you’ll notice that ‘round about mid-January, we enter three weeks of minus-three’s in a row.   That’s where we are right now.

Then, on precisely February 9th, things start to turn around.  On February 8, the average high is –3.  On February 9th?  Minus-two.  After a week more of that, the temps go up by an average of ONE DEGREE every single week.

Stuff like this, it keeps me going. 

In honour of another tease of an above-zero day, I got the kids out to Laughlin and Cedarvale for a lovely two-hour walk.  Combination of playground fun and nature fun:  my favourite.  We admired seeds of all kinds, found sticks, poked puddles, with only one catastrophic slip-and-fall and head-bang on a particularly icy patch. 

Luckily, there was a big-boy friend GZ was trying to impress, so he didn’t cry too much.

I know today was a tease.  I know next week is supposed to be colder.  I know we have to get through all those minus-threes and even (horrors!) minus-tens before we make it to the thaw.  And I also know – as someone so kindly pointed out last year – that with rising temps, precipitation goes up. 

The new improved Downsview Park snow dump is still empty and it’s already late January.

I know all that.  I know warm weather isn’t always better weather.  And I know that months can come in like lambs and go out like lions, or whatever they do.  It is always darkest before the dawn, right?

I don’t know what I’d do if I lived in Nunavut; I mean, I guess at some point, the weather must still turn around and start getting warmer, but “warmer” is all relative.  What I live for is the above-zero days in February and March, though even those are a tease for real spring.

Hey, maybe I’ll go order some petunias!  Here’s what I’ve chosen for this year:  Laura Bush Petunias.  No, they’re not “bush petunias.” For whatever reason, they are named after the former president’s wife.

The main reason I’ve picked them is that they are “old-fashioned” petunias, meaning THEY HAVE A SMELL.  I’m out of seed for the petunias I’ve grown the last couple of years, and besides, I would prefer a solid colour.  But my main criterion, and you’d know this if you’ve read any of my past petunias rhapsodies, was that they must SMELL NICE.  (here’s another past petunias rhapsody)

Petunias have been overbred commercially to get all kinds of desirable characteristics.  They must be bushy (not as in President Bushy), they must fill in gaps, they must be small, or big, or double or whatever… but very few people are breeding SMELLY petunias, which is exactly what I want.

Hence, the appeal of Laura Bush.  Pretty cheap and easily available; better order soon so they’re ready to start later on next month!!!

Comments

  1. I'm exactly the same way. I live for the spring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th