Skip to main content

Admitting Defeat

DSC08233On Friday, the kids and I went out back and, in shame, I dismantled the garden. 

It was a time for confessions:  I didn’t do enough, I didn’t care enough, I didn’t water enough, I didn’t chase the bad guys away (weeds and bugs).  I let stuff go see that really shouldn’t.  I let the brutes (bee balm, perennial sunflowers) take more than their allotted space.  I let beloved plants die through neglect while I baked breads and cared for my family instead.

DSC08230It was also a time for catharsis:  sure, I didn’t do enough all summer, but I’m not going to take this Fall thing lying down!  I tore out the pathetic, bitter-tasting tomatoes, the shrivelled, aphid-infested kale and rampaged at the weeds that had dared encroach on the square foot beds.

And finally, it was a time for hope.  I emptied one composter; dumped rich finished compost on all three beds and all around the garden.  The little kids seeded the square foot beds with a birdseed cover crop.  And all of this year’s ruined plants are now in the composter, ready to “feed” next year’s better garden. 

DSC08231There’s something really nice about a clean slate garden – ready to grow again next year.  (okay, almost clean – I left 6 dinosaur kale plants, in case they want to grow now that the bean tripods are no longer shadowing them)

Birdseed is a useful way for home gardeners to experiment with cover cropping, or “green manure.”  In organic agriculture, a legume or other enriching crop is often sown at the end of a standard season or rotation. 

DSC08232Home gardeners don’t usually have access to cover crop seed, as it’s sold in huge, bulk quantities by farm suppliers, but inexpensive birdseed is mostly millet, which makes a decent cover crop.  (Avoid brands that include sunflower seeds, however – wish I could remember why…)

Unfortunately, millet is killed by frost and snow, which makes it an attractive cover crop because it can just be tilled under in spring.  However, it makes it unattractive for sowing in late October because it may be a) too cold for it to sprout, and b) too close to frost to make it worthwhile.  We shall see.

Next year, I fear, I won’t have the luxury of a warm, sunny day to do my fall-cleanup.  Sukkos won’t even be over yet this time next year (and no, I don’t mean mid-Cheshvan!)

DSC08235 SO… cuz I knew you were wondering:  what WAS this mystery object???

There were two guesses:  bra and underpants.  One person guessed that what was left was the elastic from the bra. 

Close, very close.

It was actually an undershirt, the T-shirt kind.  I think it was a very old, ratty one of YM’s that I tossed into the composter last year to see what would happen.

I was utterly amazed to haul THIS out from the bottom of the composter on Friday.  It’s not elastic, though… it’s the polyester serging-thread that joined all the seams.  The shirt may be gone, but the plastic bits – the label, the thread – will last forever.

Nobody seemed to want it for a prize, though, so I think I’ll just throw it away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th