Skip to main content

Parsha Overview: Toldos / Yaakov and Eisav Story

image This is a basic overview of the Yaakov and Eisav story in a very traditional “Q&A” format, which can be easily reworked for young kids of any age. Answers in brackets are the usual or traditional answers, but I like this format because it lets you remain open to anything your child might have to say.

I’ve adapted this from the Toldos page of Parsha Pages for Sefer Bereishis at chinuch.org (by Ronya Friedman). We may or may not do this ourselves this week, but I wanted to be ready with a compelling narrative…

יעקב and רבקה were married, but they weren’t perfectly happy…

When we want something very much, what do we do? (daven)

What did יעקב and רבקה want very much? (a baby)

What did they do? (davened – they asked ה׳)

ה׳ answered their תפילות. They were expecting a baby!

Why was רבקה upset during her pregnancy? (her belly was always wriggling!)

When רבקה passed by a ישיבה, what would happen? (her belly would pull towards the ישיבה)

When she passed by a בית עבודה זרה, what would happen? (her belly would pull towards the בית עבודה זרה)

רבקה didn’t know what was wrong! So she went to speak to a צדיק.

What did the צדיק say? (You will have TWO babies – twins!)

One son will be a… ( צדיק.)

He will be head of the יידען (בני ישראל)

One son will be a… ( רשע.)

He will be head of the גויים.

The two babies were born!

What did the first baby look like? (hairy and red)

What did they name him? (עשו עשו means “made”, that means he already looked grown-up)

How was the second baby born? (holding onto the first baby’s ankle/heel - עקב)

What did they name him? (יעקב)

The babies grew up!

(the תורה doesn’t tell us much about that part)

When יעקב grew up, he loved to… (study תורה, do מצוות)

He was a צדיק.

When עשו grew up, he loved to… (hunt animals, kill people)

He was a רשע.

One day, עשו came home hungry from hunting!

What was יעקב cooking? (lentil soup – for יצחק, because אברהם had just died)

Did עשו ask for soup nicely? (nope, he did not!)

What didיעקב answer? (yes, but first sell me your בכורה, your birthright)

Did עשו care about being the בכור and his special מצוות? (nope, he did not!)

Their father, יצחק, wanted to give a special ברכה!

יצחק was getting old and he had become... (blind – he couldn’t see)

What did רבקה do to help יעקב get the ברכה? (dress him up in עשו’s hairy clothes)

What did יצחק say when יעקב came instead of עשו? (“The voice is the voice of יעקב, but the hands are the hands of עשו”)

Did יצחק give the ברכה anyway? (yes, he did)

עשו found out when he got home!

How didעשו act when he found out? (he was furious; he wanted to kill יעקב!)

What did רבקה tell יעקב to do? (run away to her family in חרן)

And we’ll learn about that in next week’s parsha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th