Skip to main content

Parsha Poem: Ki Sisa / Ki Tisa / כִּי תִשָּׂא

שְׁמוֹת / shemos / shemot / Exodus 30:11-34:35

Printable PDF versions here:  Ashkenaz, Sefard (Ki Tisa)

Now sharing on 4Shared, so if you’ve had trouble in past, try it now (I apologize for 4shared’s 20-second delay)!

Parsha narrative overview here.
Copywork sheet and parsha activities, including half-shekel parsha math, available here.


Aharon’s Story:
 
“Make us an idol!” the people cried, when Moshe was long gone.
“He’s just a guy who’s served us well, but it’s time for us to move on.”
I hemmed and I hawed, I didn’t know what Hashem would want me to do,
And finally, I thought I’d stall them ‘till Moshe himself could come through.
 
“Who has gold?” I asked of them, expecting that they would quail.
But instead, they came, hands full of gold, each man came without fail.
“Where’s it from?” I asked but I already knew deep inside,
They’d ripped it from their wives’ own ears, a place they couldn’t hide.
 
“I’ll have no part,” I said, “of this,” but my life was on the line.
If I didn’t make them an idol now, the head they’d have would be mine.
If I throw the gold in the fire, I thought, then we’d see what occurred;
Perhaps the gold would just disappear – the outcome that I preferred.
 
“Now look!” I shouted and cast the gold deep in the fiery flames,
Looking around to see who watched – knowing Hashem knew their names.
But what do you think sprang from the fire?  A calf, glowing and warmed,
And all of those people stood about, staring at their gold, transformed.
 
image I cried out “Here is Hashem!” to them, knowing it couldn’t be true –
Hoping to show that this wasn’t the One who’d brought their great rescue.
“This is Hashem,” I shouted out, “who brought you from slavery.”
I thought that they might laugh aloud – how crazy could they be?
 
But instead they woke up early, bright and early the very next day,
“We have to daven, to dance and sing – this calf has shown us the way!”
I stood aside and watched in shock as their prayers grew wild and loud;
I stood at the edge and took it all in, trying not to anger the crowd.
 
Moshe’s Story:
 
Well, I was up on the mountainside still, speaking closely with Hashem.
“Descend,” Hashem said, “go down and see the evil now among them.”
I walked slowly down the slope, two luchos, engraved, in my hands,
Stopped in shock to stare at the people who’d heard Hashem’s commands.
 
image “How could you do this?” I wailed, and cast down those tablets of stone.
I stood on the hill and I waited and wept – but for Yehoshua, alone.
But then I remembered Hashem’s faithfulness and I knew I had to act.
“Who is for Hashem?” I called; the kohanim rushed to join in the pact.
 
“If Hashem can forgive these people who stumble and fall, make mistakes,
Then surely I can’t turn my back now, although my heart certainly breaks.
I will return, back up to Hashem, to demand that He spare you your lives;
Remind Him of His holy oath – to our Avos and their righteous wives.”
 
“Erase me from your book,” I told Hashem, up close face-to-face.
“If you wipe out these people now, it would be the greatest disgrace.”
He’d sworn to our ancestors on His holy name to hold us always dear,
And though I trembled, I stood my ground, hardly feeling my own fear.
 
As I forgave them, Hashem did too – He granted my deepest desire;
With brand new luchos, carved out myself, not - like the first ones - by fire.
“The Torah is not in shomayim,” I learned, “it’s right down here on earth.”
And so I went down, luchos in hand:  a clean slate, my people’s rebirth.

(images from MiBereshit, a series of parsha sheets and other resources available in numerous languages here)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th