Skip to main content

Stretchy

image

One thing I’d like to ask everybody in my family, but have never gotten up the whatever to ask is:  am I the only one as inflexible as a Hummel doll???image

Long ago, one summer when I was 12, I took dance classes at the JCC – I’m talking about all day, every day.  Well, maybe not ALL day, and it was only for a month. 

But it was a LOT of dance classes, like 5 or 6 a day.  I got strong and fast and I was (believe it or not) a skinny kid anyway.  (Honest - I looked seriously weird in a leotard because my elbows were too pointy and my knees too knobbly…)

I was, by any measure, healthy and fit, and I loved feeling my little muscles.  And when it was time for stretching, I DID the stretches, darn it, almost hard enough to hurt.

But almost every day, at the same JCC, my Bubby used to come to “make exercise” and swim.  (It was always “make” exercise – no amount of “how was your exercise, Bubby?” could get her to just use “exercise” as a verb.)

Sometimes, rarely, I used to glimpse her in the class windows moving around and I swear, she was definitely more flexible than me.  That’s no a figure of speech, and she was not an unusually flexible 70-year-old, that I recall.  She was just a ton more bendy than me, her skinny, active, fit, really-trying-hard 12-year-old granddaughter.

No matter what I do or have done in my life, there is a certain point where bending gets really REALLY hard.  Like, so hard that my legs would snap if I pushed past it.

Yet I realized during my aerobics class tonight that every single class I do, to this very day, I go in with the optimism that if I try hard enough, I will be stretchy.  I reach for my toes – and they’re not there.  I fall forward to the ground – and it does not rise up to meet me.

I am currently NOT twelve years old, or particularly fit.  But like I said, I don’t think you can just blame that.  The only good news is that I haven’t noticed any marked degradation of the amount of stretchiness in my… hmm… sinews?

So, fitness gurus!  (unless you’re all reading a more fitness-oriented blog – sorry!)  Is there some kind of stretchiness-ometer that would tell me if I was way abnormal, or had some kind of tautness that is inhumanly high? 

Short of that, I’d like to know from any family members who happen to be reading this how stretchy you think YOU are compared to the average person.  Surely, I’m not the only one.  Where did this awful porcelain-doll-body legacy come from?

Are you one of those ridiculously stretchy people who can touch the ground from anywhere???  I hate you.  Ha ha… just kidding.  But I can out-stride-jump you, that’s for sure.  Or at least, possible.

Comments

  1. I took ballet and other forms of dance for years, and I always had a very difficult time stretching. I am not very flexible. Now that I am not so fit, I am even less so. I did try to see if I can still touch my toes, which I did, but barely and it hurt to do so.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th