Skip to main content

Final Pesach Guests (warning – gross stuff)

DSC02889Most people, when they’re getting excited about Pesach, probably don’t think about all the beautiful COMPOST it creates.  And they certainly don’t think about all the WORMS they’re feeding over the Yom Tov.

But think about it – you’re eating basically vegetables, for eight days, along with thousands and thousands (well, maybe it just seemed like it) of eggshells.  Peel, peel, peel… crack, crack, crack – and every peel and every shell is making my garden happier and healthier than it would be otherwise.

DSC02892I got so mad two years ago when I saw somebody tossing Pesach eggshells into the city compost bin.  My standard line is, “we already pay taxes; do we have to give them our compost, too???!?”  The (somewhat rabidly-made) point being, it’s perfectly good stuff.  And the worms (a few pictured at right) are the very best kind of Pesach guests – the ones that stay on afterwards and help you with your gardening all year round.

In other, less delightful, more rot-full gardening news, at some point in, oh, maybe December, I noticed that the lids were missing to the two big garbage pails in which I keep dried leaves, raked up in the fall.  I usually rake them up in the fall, keep them dry all winter, and use them throughout the garden and/or in the compost come spring – because in the fall, there’s no room in the compost bins for all the leaves.

Anyway, the lids were missing and we couldn’t find them anywhere.  And I knew that, with no lids, the pails would fill up with snow and ice and the leaves would get disgusting.  Well, I told Ted, and he worked out an arrangement where he upended one full pail on TOP of the other, presumably to act as a “hat” and keep out the moisture.  Naturally, since it wasn’t sealed, it didn’t work.  And today was the day to deal with the two pails full of soggy watery rotten leaves.

The top layer was nice and dry, so I just spread that in the garden.  the rest was pretty soggy, so I thought I’d drag the bin to the backyard, not realizing exactly HOW waterlogged it was… turned out it was completely full to the top with water, and as I dragged it, the disgusting leaf-rot water was sloshing out onto my hands and shoes.  Ewwww… plus, it was super-heavy and kept hitting bumps in our driveway cement and sloshing even MORE.

DSC02894Finally, I decided to just tip the thing out right where it was.  Oy, vey – a great deluge of coffee-coloured rot-water sloshed out, all over Gavriel Zev’s feet, my feet, and threatened to run right into the garage.  I grabbed a snow shovel and started shovelling the water as fast as I could, tossing it into the garden and into the empty pail so I could spread it around when I was done.  Despite the intense REEK, or perhaps because of it, I knew this was probably the very best kind of compost “tea” that gardeners like me are supposed to go crazy over.

Throughout all this, and despite the smell, the kids kept playing happily, running around with “adopted” worms I had given them from the composter.  Naomi was setting up a worms-and-ants habitat, while GZ was taking his worm for a drive in the toy car (seen in the background here).

Later on in the afternoon, when the leaves were somewhat dry, I scattered them around on the garden paths, since all the straw I put down last year is pretty much GONE (where did it go??  it rotted!)  And as with all garden smells, once dry, it began to dissipate… leaving, I hope, the benefits of rottenness without the stinky drawbacks.

By the way, when I called the kids over to see the worms in the composter (of course I called them to come look!), Naomi Rivka made a big girly show of reacting to the smell, baking away and saying, “smelly!”  To which I said, “actually, it smells kind of sweet, don’t you think?”  Because a well-fed, well-stirred composter really doesn’t (and shouldn’t) smell like food gone bad.  And she agreed, and came back for a closer look. 

Real girls, cool girls, are not afraid to smell the compost.  But I still wear gloves to touch the worms, unlike this brave IRL friend, who is also not afraid to tackle home improvement projects with power tools.  I like to leave a few frontiers unexplored.

How many worms did you feed over Pesach???

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th