Skip to main content

Alef-Bais Jigglers for Alef-Bais Party!

This was a first for me, though they are apparently popular in the non-Jewish world, known as either Jello Jigglers or Knox Blox, depending on which brand of gelatin you use to make them.  Also, I think knox blox are sometimes made with pure fruit juices, which I guess makes them a totally healthy alternative, which mine weren’t.

I used four packs of Kolatin kosher gelatin dessert (comparable to Jello, and the only brand that uses real gelatin – don’t ask me how or why it’s pareve…), two of cherry and two of lime (but you could mix-n-match any flavours you like!), mixed with 2 1/2 cups of boiling water (the package directions call for 2 cups of water per package, so this is just over 1/4 the total water of the regular recipe).

I let it sit overnight.  In the morning, it was WAY firm and ready to press cookie cutters into.  I sprayed the “sharp” edge of the cookie cutters with a bit of oil because I didn’t want any trouble with the letters not releasing, and most of them popped out just fine (I also lined the inside of the pan the Jigglers set in with plastic wrap so they’d slide out of the pan very easily…).

DSC03404DSC03405

(it looks like there’s a gap in the middle-left, but actually, I stamped one zayin there and then moved the zayin over to maximize all the available space)

And here they all are!

 DSC03406 

Mostly, the jigglers were a hit.  All the kids picked them up and squished them around a bit, but a couple couldn’t bring themselves to actually eat them.

 DSC03407

If you’re interested in trying it, this site has recipes for various Jiggler variations, including creamy Jigglers.  One nice thing about using cookie cutters on the Jigglers is that whatever scraps you have left over can be melted in the microwave, then re-set in a smaller pan.  I just cut those leftovers into squares and we’ll probably have them for a snack tomorrow.  But even though you don’t get many when you stamp them out, ultimately, there’s no waste, so I approve.

The party itself was GREAT – mostly because not too many kids came.  Maybe five kid-friends, plus a baby, plus my mother and another “older-lady” friend, plus some mommies and one abba.  Very manageable crowd; just the way I like it!

Elisheva drew a giant “pin the alef on the aryeh” game on a big piece of green bristol board (oak tag, for folks in the US), and I printed and cut out an easy alef-bais Bingo game from chinuch.org here.  There was also an alef-bais grid drawing “game” (on a big bristol-board-sized grid, kids roll for a number across, then down, then draw something for whatever letter appears in that square of the grid) that created a cute poster, though because there weren’t many kids, we still have to fill in a bunch of pictures ourselves that didn’t get drawn by friends during the party.

We also made alef-bais cookies and watched GZ’s alef-bais video while he refused to sing his alef-bais song for those who had come to the party.

All in all, a successful day!  We made another party for my mother’s birthday in the evening, for which I slaved all afternoon making fresh pasta bowties and my sister slaved making a luscious chocolate-whipped-cream-and-cocoa-nibs-strawberry-crazy-stacked-up-cake, and then, in my exhaustion completely forgot to take even a single picture…  blah!

Did I mention I have a killer cold???  Didn’t think so… I didn’t mention it at home, except a few times to my sisters. 

Cuz if you can’t complain to your sisters, who can you kvetch to???

Comments

  1. That looks like a fun alef beis party! And your Mom's birthday cake sounded like it was good (although much more elaborate than cakes I make)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th