Skip to main content

Cartoon stamps for fun and parsha

One of the neatest things I’ve found to buy my kids in the last couple of years is this set of “Expressions” Stampers from Melissa & Doug.  They turn any kid – and even me! – into a reasonably competent cartoonist.  They’re just plain fun, plus they’d probably be fantastic if you were working with a kid just about anywhere on the autism spectrum.

imageWe’ve had them for a while, but I’ve been fascinated with the idea of “stick figure” Bible Studies, a trademarked concept from one particular Christian publisher.  Basically, as you read the story, you draw a stick figure and the kids do the same, and learn more because it’s concrete and reinforced as you go.  Here’s a sample from the study guide for the book of Esther:

So anyway, the two concepts came together in my mind late, LATE last Thursday night when I was planning for our “stamping” themed homeschool Shabbos party.  So before we actually got around to creating our own stamps for the parsha (click here to see them), I “read” the kids a very, very simplified version of the parsha, creating stick figure cartoons as we went along. 

Then, I let the kids copy the cartoon, adding their own touch.  Please remember that I cannot draw at all – so I was pleased that doing it this way let me skip the hard part of drawing (creating the expressions) and get right to the story, quickly.  Also, you can get a “crowd scene” drawn very quickly – stamp, stamp, stamp and there they are!

Here’s my version of the giant Og (wearing a hula skirt around his arms, for some mysterious reason), trying to drop a rock on bnei Yisrael.  They are smiling because they know Hashem will protect them.  And the smiliest of all is Moshe, who is chopping Og’s leg with an axe.

DSC03715 

It was a bit of a crazy free-for-all once I let the kids grab the stampers, but they did some neat stuff.  On the left is Gavriel Zev’s, showing the giant Og terrorizing bnei Yisrael (or perhaps this was supposed to be the meraglim – I forget, and we did several scenes).  Naomi’s, on the right, is another scene, where Moshe tells bnei Yisrael at the start of sefer Devarim that he will soon be leaving them.

DSC03717  DSC03716

Totally unrelated, here are two cartoons that Gavriel Zev did yesterday with the stampers.  He was a late starter and basically never drew a thing before his third birthday (these stamps were his present from me, I believe); his style is still rather unsophisticated for his age and level of verbal ability, to say the least.  So I think he appreciates the way these let him create pictures anyone can understand.

He drew this cartoon first:

DSC03731

The bigger boy has taken the smaller boy’s soccer ball, the smaller boy is angry and objects.  I liked this picture very much, but GZ was not pleased with it at all.  He realized quickly that angry was not the expression he wanted, and was about to stamp over it when I said that wouldn’t work and offered him a fresh sheet of paper. 

So here’s what he drew instead:

 DSC03730

Same picture, but now, the smaller boy is sad instead of angry.  And instead of words (oh, this made me very happy), the “explanation” arrives in the language of numbers:  the big boy is 10; the small boy is 3.  This is a heartbreaking scene, showing in three simple backwards numerals a very young boy’s dawning comprehension of the world of injustice in which we live.

The funny thing is that I saw about 100 Picassos today (okay, 147), and then came home and THIS crazy cartoon-stamper artwork done by my little boy stirs my heart in ways Picasso and his colleagues could never, ever begin to touch.  But I did like this sculpture, “L’homme au Mouton” (Man with a Sheep).  I love the word sheep, and the whole image, well, it strikes me that it is saying something totally awesome, though I am not smart enough about art to figure out what it is.  The whole thing seems full of life, movement, and humour, despite the man’s sombre expression… and I adore the precariousness of the situation, because this is NOT a comfortable pose for either the man or the mouton.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/city-arts/files/library/manwithsheep_picasso.jpg

I may not know much about art, but in the immortal words of Monty Python, “I know what I like.”

Comments

  1. I love the idea of drawing the story as you read. The stamps seem like the perfect answer. I am ordering my set now. I can't wait to try this with Froggy. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, I used to draw parsha back in bereshit on an easel. The easiest way for me to draw people was to do stick figures (I had to remember who had curly beards and who had straight). My then 5 yo son loved it, and would reference those drawings when retelling the parsha. Then I ran out of paper and only got around to ordering a new roll now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th