Skip to main content

Cooking for…

DSC03799This is the time of year I jokingly refer to as our “semi-empty nest.”  The big kids are in Calgary visiting family, and we are left with a taste of what it would be like to be a totally different family – a fairly predictable life with two kids, no schools, nobody popping in and out of the house. 

DSC03801This period when they usually comes after several crazy unpredictable summer weeks, and this year has been the most crazy and unpredictable of all, with big kids running in and out of the house, up to all kinds of big-kid shenanigans, at all hours of the day and night. 

Literally, at any moment if we’re trying to do school or have rests or anything, the door could open with a big kid bursting in, perhaps happy and calm; or perhaps, agitated, angry and shouting.  And there is always money:  they constantly need money, infusions of cash or arguments about money or debates about who owed what to whom and when.

So when they go away, it’s a bit of a release.  A bit of missing them terribly.

It would seem like food would be simpler.  Not only two fewer people, but the two biggest eaters in the house.  They don’t just eat at mealtimes, they GRAZE constantly, sweeping through the kitchen and eliminating crackers, cookies, chocolate chips, in their wake.  Fruit, too; they’re not unhealthy eaters by nature, though veggies tend to require too much attention span with all the peeling and cutting.

I often joke that I’m a bad Jewish mother because I’m always yelling at the kids NOT to eat.  They probably don’t think I’m joking.  I do worry that they’re not eating, but the snacking (I call it fressing, just to make them crazy!), the grazing, doesn’t reassure me; it tells me they are constantly hungry and there’s nothing I can do about it.

I worry less about hunger when they’re away.  Hand out drinks a few times a day, cut up an orange or a peach, dish out two little bowls of pretzels or boxes of raisins, and everybody’s happy for a few hours.

I worry less about meal planning when they’re away.  They grew up eating a variety of nice flavours and styles of food, but right now, they seem to reject anything off-hand, even if they’ll later wander in and happily sit down to eat it.  Except chicken, which neither of them like very much.  I made it once a few weeks ago and YM grudgingly said the way I’d done it (I forget) was his “favourite way to eat chicken,” which the way he said it, sounds like “my favourite way to contract Ebola,” so I “excused” him from eating it, by which I meant that he was not allowed to eat until he apologized for insulting my cooking.

Life is very complicated with big kids.

Life is very easy with little kids.  With no big kids around to tell them what they don’t like, their minds are more open.

“Is there any plain pizza?” Naomi asked tonight (more about the pizzas here).  I gave her my standard line:  “Yes.  There is plain with veggies and plain with fake crab.”  She happily finished off two slices of plain-with-veggies, pushing the veggies off but “saving them for later,” and her food was completely finished by the time she left the table.  Gavriel Zev had one slice of each and even bravely kept on eating after getting spicy-mouthed with a bit of homegrown “warm pepper.” (not hot enough to count as “hot pepper”)   He just took a big, BIG, drink and kept right on eating.  (I suggested he remove the pepper bits if he did not want any more heat)

And the quantities, seemingly, are easy.  The picture at the top is of a tiny, miniature salmon loaf, a recipe that is actually called Salmon Loaf for Two.  I baked it up in a little teeny dish and served it out (with corn fritters and home-pickled beets) on little teeny side plates, and it was just like playing tea party except everybody was full at the end of the meal.

Except… even the quantities are tricky.  We had maybe a dozen leftover corn fritters – my regular beer batter recipe is too much for a small family, apparently.  And the pizzas tonight:  it felt wrong making “only” two, but sure enough, leftovers again.  I worry there won’t be enough; I can see this becoming a problem in my old age.

Complicated is okay.  It is what it is.  If I point out any of this in any place other than in a blog post, like if I suggest that the smaller kids watch them to see how to react, the big kids object with mighty sighs and groans and eye-rollings.

Maybe every parent should get a blog and every kid should read their parent’s blog (parents’, if both have one).  And maybe vice versa.  Not discuss the posts at any time, but just – get to know one another, without feeling the need to stop each other from snacking or oppressing or whatever it is we do to one another.  Cyberspace is so clean – no dirty dishes or laundry or missing scissors to kvetch about; just souls getting along fine.

I have always vaguely fantasized about becoming a brain-in-a-jar, pure mind (bear with me here – I know this is not Hashem’s intention and I know this is not our ideal state, but if Ted can fantasize about the coming zombie apocalypse, well, just play along…)

So now I realize that maybe it would be better if we could ALL spend a month or so “away” in cyberspace, brains in jars, respecting each other, getting along just fine away from all the laundry and toilet paper.

But eventually, I’d want us all to come back so I could hug them and smell them and be close to them.  As hateful as we all are to one another, they are my children, and it’s reassuring to have them close. 

Plus, three weeks of semi-empty nest adds up to a TON of leftovers that somebody has to come back soon to finish off…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th