Skip to main content

Crochet animal mitts

Chanukah presents for my sisters, as modelled by Ted (and yes, I’m Canadian, so 2 L’s really IS the correct spelling!):

1) Shark mitts for Sara.  These were going to be elephants, hence the grey, but then I remembered that she’s kind of sick of elephants.  Like if somebody figures out that you like orchids, say, or salt-and-pepper shakers, then they’re going to get you nothing but orchids or salt-and-pepper shakers for the rest of your life.  She’s probably not really sick of elephants, but I figured a new animal would be a nice change of scenery.  So… what else is grey?  After pondering sheep for a while and yawning tremendously at the idea of sheep mittens (cute, but blah), I realized that sharks were the very thing.  There was also a matching grey hat, but I don’t seem to have gotten a picture; it’s exactly the same as the one I made for Abigail in the picture below.  Oh, and I slipped a little elephant into one of the mitts – a quick project (Percy the Elephant Amigurumi pattern here) that I literally finished during one 2-hour preschool class of Gavriel Zev’s, while helping Naomi with her schoolwork. 

DSC04519 DSC04521 DSC04530

Oooh, I found a picture of her showing off the mitts AND hat!  Rare pictures; Sara notoriously hates hats.  One of the big kids reminded me of a heartbreaking story of spending his/her last few pennies to buy a (pretty cheap at the dollar store) hat-and-scarf set for Sara, who notoriously cast them aside.  I dunno if they were really cast aside.  For all I know, she wore them often, but in the big kid’s imagination, the gift was underappreciated, and I was warned that this one might be, too.  I told her if she doesn’t want the hat, she can give it to our mother, who seems to have infinite room for hats in  her wardrobe, and wears a lot of grey.  (these hats also turned out fairly big, which is probably good because they won’t skwunch – squnch? squunch? – anybody’s hair)

DSC00225DSC00224

2) Croc mitts for Abigail!  I actually chose this green first because Abigail has a winter coat in a similar colour and it just seemed like her.  I suppose it could have suited either sister, but it struck me as hers first.  And green, of course, is a crocodile.  Or alligator.  Or something vaguely lizardy or reptilian, with silly googly eyes and a kinda-fangy overbite.

DSC04524 DSC04526DSC04528

You can see Sara’s hat in the left of the background while Abigail reacts in delighted amazement to her bitey mitts.  And then there’s  her matchy hat, which has absolutely nothing shark- or croc-themed about it… it’s just (in my opinion) a nice simple hat that doesn’t look too “crotchet-y” (in t he pattern, it’s called “Divine Hat” (pattern here) which may be slightly overstating its wonderfulness, but it sure is quick & easy).

DSC00204 DSC00205

I did make the mittens myself from scratch, adding character with a few touches here and there (Mrs Murdock’s Mittens pattern here, shark fin here but I only did up to Row 6, teeth inspiration here, basic red oval instructions here).  It occurred to me as I was adding the last couple of features that I probably could have bought Dollarama mitts and spiced them up very quickly with homemade bits and bobs.  But I suppose that totally defeats the purpose, and this really is an easy, comfy mitten pattern.

Continuing the theme of gifting only the adults in my life, I gave Ted this hat I made for him a while back.  Not sure I love the main “camel” colour – I think his skin is so pale that he needs something a little darker.  But anyway, I’m very pleased with the beard I made – for no particular reason – to go along with the hat.  Kind of along the theme of “keeping warm in winter.”  And also “moving to Israel and fitting in in Meah Shearim.”

 DSC00216

So there it is.  Crochet stuff… I’ve been busy!  Do you give homemade gifts, or storebought stuff?  Or no gifts at all…. (our kids get money; cold, hard cash!)

Comments

  1. Your crochet items came out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I try not to inundate this blog with my handy-dandy exploits, but sometimes, I've just gotta brag!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th