Skip to main content

Shopping for picture books for Jewish holidays? Here are 6 you’ll love.

image

Do you have something you’re really bad at?

I do, so I’ll go first.

I’m lousy at self-promotion. 

Not just bad.  Lousy.  Especially in person.  I have been at people’s houses, shown them the parsha book that I wrote, and then, when they ask me where they can buy one, I say something like, “oh, it’s probably not right for you.”  Or, “you don’t want to buy it.”

Literally, I have said that.  More than once.  I’m like the ANTI self-promotion force.  I am my own worst critic.

But it’s that time on the Jewish calendar (note to self:  buy new calendars!) when we head out – or head online – to buy kids’ books for the upcoming fall yamim tovim.  Whether they’re for our own children, other people’s children, or just to hand out randomly to children we meet on the subway (hey, a struggling author can hope, right?).  We’re all in the mood for books that make Judaism fun, colourful and appealing.

So I’m going to take a break to blow my own horn, briefly, and let you know that with the fall chagim coming up, you still have time to explore some books I wrote that you and your kids might enjoy.  If you aren’t interested, don’t buy them... drat – there I go, undermining myself again.

Let’s start over:

These are ALL great books.  I’m proud of them.  And they’re all reasonably priced and available on Amazon.com.  Bonus:  buy any book with a Kindle edition, and I’ve set things up so it will give you the Kindle version FREE.

(If you’re in Israel, contact me; I have copies here that I can send you directly.)

Here are all my yom tov books (so far; there are more coming!)… and why you and your kids will love them:

image Penguin Rosh Hashanah Because penguins… and Rosh Hashanah.  How cool are they together?  (Answer:  very.)
image We Didn’t Have an Etrog! Everything’s ready for Sukkos / Sukkot… except the etrog (esrog)!  Two eager kids learn a lesson in patience as they prepare for yom tov.
image One Chanukah Night For slightly older kids, Sammy comes face-to-face with history and discovers his own connection with the stories of the Tanach.
image The Marror Man Run, run, as fast as you can… think you know the ending?  Maybe not, in this fun Pesach twist on a classic tale.
image Seven Special Gifts Perfect for Sukkos / Sukkot, Shavuos / Shavuot, or just generally reading about the Land of Israel.
image Shabbat Monsters Not exactly a yom tov book, but Shabbat comes around every week, and with these cute monsters, every kid will look forward to it.

This isn’t all I’ve written, just everything that has a bit of a festival “flavour.”  Click here to see all my books. 

Can I ask you a favour?

While I’m tooting my own horn… it’s kind of tiring being the only one.

If you’ve bought or read one of my books in the past, please click back through and leave a review.  As an independent writer, I live and die by reviews.  They’re the best way to tell other readers that a book by a new and undiscovered writer deserves their attention.

Again, click here to find all my books and (hopefully) leave a fair review.

And now, back to my regularly-scheduled self-effacement…

Thanks for your support.  I totally appreciate it!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th