Skip to main content

Now Complete! Jewish Book of Centuries (Charlotte Mason style)

boc1My secret ongoing “spare-time” (ha ha ha) project for the last few weeks: putting together a Book of the Centuries.

A Book of Centuries is like a timeline in a notebook. When you first start it, it’s blank because you create it yourself, literally writing your own book of history as you go along!

These are a staple of a Charlotte Mason education, though Charlotte Mason herself didn’t recommend them until kids were a bit older (Grade 5 or so).

I actually believe it can’t hurt to give even younger children some awareness of how history unfolds. I like the fact that the book is BLANK, or very nearly blank, when you begin learning. As kids’ awareness expands, so does the usefulness of the book.

For instance, reading Little House on the Prairie and listening to Beethoven (this term’s Ambleside Online composer selection), I keep wanting to show the slight overlap in time period between the two: Beethoven was born in 1810; Laura in 1867. Neither would have ever heard of the other – or would they?

Those are just two examples of MANY. Like when we go to Pioneer Village, or learn about Moshe in the parsha. All those things were long, long ago, but I’d like to be able to say, “THIS is how long ago it happened.” Where THIS is either a lot of pages or not very many at all. Beethoven was recent compared to Moshe.

Perhaps this is because I was largely illiterate, historically, growing up, and still have very little innate sense of what happened when. I figure if I’m ever to make a go of teaching my kids history, I need something like this as a crutch.

I did find a couple of lovely templates for Century Books online, including one that provided useful headings for each major era of history.

However, I also wanted to be able to incorporate Jewish dates, which are very important to me – and I believe they should be to my kids as well. Jewish history is our history. I don’t want to isolate Jewish history… I wanted something that could include both.

It turns out there are tons of Christian timeline resources out there, but nothing that incorporates all these elements: blank or nearly blank, Jewish dates, useful headings.

So I designed one and it took a bloody long time, but I’m quite pleased… I think it’s a VERY good resource. I don’t have a laser printer here, or one that prints double-sided, so I had it printed and hole-punched at Kinko’s on higher-quality paper than usual. Not cheap, but I think it’s a reasonable investment into our kids’ education.

I realize there isn’t much call for this sort of thing…very few Jewish homeschoolers out there, and even fewer doing Charlotte Mason homeschooling. But if you’re interested in perhaps starting one for your kids, read on…

First off, I would LOVE to say that I’m giving this book away. Regular readers know I have never charged for anything. But I can’t; this one was a TON of work. Painful, blinding, number-checking work.

But if you’re willing to PayPal me something, say $4 or $5, I will email you the full 97-page Book of Centuries.

NOTE:  I am no longer selling this or my lapbooks on a pay-what-you-can basis… but the good news is that they’re all all available on an instant-download basis from CurrClick.  Buy them instantly here!  And if you like what you bought, please PRETTY PLEASE leave a review.  :-)

(if you are unable to afford the prices on CurrClick, please email me directly)

This printable PDF document includes a 2-page Guide at the end describing how to set up and use your Book of Centuries.

This is NOT a copy of anything else you can find online. I created it from scratch, carefully researching each date and each era. I can’t guarantee that it’s perfect, but I think it’s pretty darn close. Plus, it includes the words HAVE FUN, in an elaborate and super-big font at the end. How can you resist???

More pics below:

boc2 boc3boc5boc4

To buy this and other instant-download products, like lapbooks, click here to visit me on CurrClick.

And click here for TOTALLY free Jewish printables!

Comments

  1. this is AWESOME. I'm sure some Jewish homeschoolers are just going to drool over this when they find it!

    Great work! these projects are grueling, but there's a certain pride of accomplishment, and I can sense it in your words!

    thanks so much for making it available, you've made something worthwhile! ;)

    amy in peru

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun. I have spent this week working on Froggy's book of centuries. I did not do anything as elaborate as yours. I wrote it by hand and put secular years on one page and the Jewish year on the other side. Each entry gets listed with both years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I am in awe. Well done! If I ever homeschool, I'll be buying this from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful! I'd like to get a copy. To what paypal/email address should I send payment?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be getting one soon. hopefully. It looks to perfect! I love the CM method, but it's so hard to find any resources that aren't created by hard-core fundy X-ians.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to purchase your Jewish Book of Centuries! Do you have an paypal address?

    Thanks so much,
    Ginnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ginnie: Jay3fer "at" gmail "dot" com

    Sorry I can't email you directly because you posted anonymously. Hope you see this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE it! I would gladly pay for this. Can you please send me a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Update: If you want access to this resource, with full instructions, please PayPal me at Tzivia@tzivia.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th