Skip to main content

Battle of the Steel-Cut Oats

UPDATED:  Scroll down for the delicious verdict!

I’m trying out two new techniques for cooking these, because they are so much yummier (and healthier!) than regular (aka rolled) oats.

I am SO not a breakfast person.   But I am a night person.  And I figure if I can get breakfast started at night, so it’s super-easy in the morning, then my family will think of me and be grateful, even as I doze the hours away lazily in uninterrupted blissful sleep.

So!  Here are the contenders, going head-to-head in my kitchen:

Overnight Oatmeal – boil 1 minute the night before, leave on stove, boil 5-10 minutes in the morning.  Easy!

vs

Alton Brown’s Crock-Pot Oatmeal – toss everything into a crock-pot (or any brand of slow cooker), leave it overnight and awaken refreshed to yumminess.

Here’s another one to try:  Jamie Oliver’s Pukkola.  It’s completely uncooked; you just leave it in the fridge overnight.  I just can’t figure out if he does it with steel-cut or rolled oats.

This all came about because Elisheva was bemoaning the terrible state of breakfasts in this house – specifically, the absence of oatmeal. 

I secretly suspect, however, that she is going to reject BOTH of these oaty candidates because she wasn’t raised with steel-cut, and the texture will be unfamiliar and off-putting to her.   What she means by “oatmeal” is probably “a single-serving packet with 12g of sugar, bunch of preservatives, and a few paper-thin flakes of oat.”

Still, we shall see…

I keep thinking optimistically that if I feed the littles oatmeal MORE OFTEN, then eventually they will eat it happily and not just scoop the brown sugar out from underneath and toss the rest of it.  Brown sugar alone does NOT equal breakfast.  I have tried making it with apple juice, I have tried adding fruit, I have tried fancying it up with yogurt.  But all that has happened so far is that they STILL don’t eat the oatmeal, food goes to waste, and the kids end up growlingly hungry around 10 am… blah.

Hey, happy Thanksgiving to any US-ians* out there reading this!!!

* US-ian = United Statesian, a term I have used for years in my head (see this post), but which Urban Dictionary insists is a real usage.  Kind of.

POSTSCRIPT:

So:  whose oat scheme reigned supreme???

BOTH!

The Crock-Pot Little Dipper made just under two cups (I had to scale down the recipe radically) of delicious, creamy, cranberry-enhanced oatmeal a la Alton.  Elisheva left a nice note saying thank you.  So I consider that one a winner.  I am soaking the crockpot now; we’ll see how it cleans up… looks a tad messy.

The parboiled regular-pot oatmeal made a HUGE quantity (over 6 cups?) of moist, creamy oatmeal.  The texture was perfect; chewy and creamy all at once.  I found it needed salt, and would include that in the pot next time along with the oats and water.  This was the one I had for my breakfast, and went back for seconds.

image imageSo I guess the verdict is… overnight is a VERY GOOD way to make oatmeal.  Just, whatever you do, please don’t use ROLLED oats in either of these recipes.  Rolled oats are designed to cook quickly or be eaten or baked with little soaking or preparation. 

In other words, they’re designed to turn to mush as soon as possible after hitting water.   If you like mush, then go for it… but it turns out that what I like is – oatmeal.

image See how smashed up and non-nutritious these quick-cook oats are???

Comments

  1. You can used rolled oats, preferably the 5-minute kind in your little dipper (I use our for oatmeal for one too!) or big crock pot. Just attach it to a timer and set the time for about 4 hours. It will soak and cook them in time for someone's breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th