Skip to main content

Super-Easy Homemade Baked Egg Rolls

DSC08428

I love baked egg rolls because there’s no chance that they’ll split open in deep-frying.  And - what’s that?  Oh, yeah… also because they’re healthier. 

The ones in this picture don’t look too appetizing because it was erev Shabbos and I was rushing around and didn’t have time to plate them nicely.  But trust me, they were delicious.  Didn’t stand a chance against us and our hungry guests last night.

And they really are super-easy and quick to put together, even erev Shabbos.  I’ve seen egg rolls in kosher take-out places for $1-2 each… and the fillings in those places are sometimes kind of iffy, if not utterly gross.  These are much less expensive, plus, they’re fresher and more delicious.  And healthier!

There are no exact quantities here, because everything depends on what you like in your spring rolls.  I’ve made these before with shredded chicken; you could use ground meat if you like that.  No problem!  You don’t need much of any given filling ingredient – a little goes a long way.

You’ll want to have handy:

  • canola or other vegetable oil
  • 1 package egg roll wrappers
  • 1 bag matchstick carrots (or grate your own in the food processor)
  • 1 bag bean sprouts (a couple of handfuls of fresh sprouts)
  • 2 green onions, sliced (green & white parts)
  • small quantities of other filling ingredients, if desired
  • soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup of water until it looks like milk (= cornstarch “slurry”)
  • toasted (not raw) sesame oil (optional)
  • beaten egg and brush, for “gluing” wrappers shut

Here’s the filling:

  1. Heat oil in wok
  2. Stir-fry carrots
  3. When mostly cooked, add green onions.  Stir and fry.
  4. Add other ingredients, if using. Stir and fry.
  5. Add bean sprouts.  Stir until slightly wilted.
  6. Add a few tablespoons of soy sauce, until all ingredients are nicely coated.
  7. Add cornstarch slurry; stir until mixture thickens.  Remove from heat.

image

Here’s how you wrap them up:

  1. Preheat oven to 425° or 450° (doesn’t make a huge difference, so experiment, or just use whichever is most convenient if you’re baking other things)
  2. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper; spray generously with oil.
  3. Open package of egg roll wrappers (don’t let wrappers sit around open – they dry out fast). 
  4. Lay one wrapper in front of you diagonally.  Brush two upper edges with beaten egg.
  5. Add a small quantity of filling (heaping teaspoon?) to the lower quadrant.
  6. Roll bottom up a little over filling.
  7. Bring in the left and right corners and adhere to rolled-up bottom.
  8. Keep rolling, bringing the top over the roll to form a seam.
  9. Seal edges well – there are sometimes gaps that need “pinching.”
  10. Lay seam-side-down on prepared parchment paper.
  11. When all the rolls are finished (ie all filling is used up or all wrappers are used up or both!), spray tops generously with oil.
  12. Bake for 10 minutes, or until top sides are golden-brown.
  13. Flip rolls over and spray NEW upper side generously with oil.
  14. Bake another 5-15 minutes, until completely golden-brown.

These are BEST eaten immediately.  Second-best, keep them warm, because they aren’t as fantastic when eaten cold.  For Shabbos, they can be kept uncovered in a low oven.

NEVER cover spring rolls or egg rolls – they will steam and turn mushy!!!

Comments

  1. ...and I am here to say that I was hands down the hungriest of the guests!!! it was a fabulous meal, each and every dish, starting with the challah...I loved singing Shalom Aleichem in the warmth of the livingroom, so informal, so right!...I felt everyone's song, felt my longing fulfilled to be with family singing together...what a happy time!!! thank you beyond what puny words can say or show on a computer screen! <3 kevin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th