Skip to main content

Adventures in SoupLand

image Tonight, I decided to make a quick n’ easy “2 x 2 soup,” a concept I came up with as I was mixing it up, where I just threw two of EVERYTHING I could think of together in a pot.

I relied heavily for this experiment on my Starfrit “manual food processor” that lets me cut up veggies really, REALLY fast, and without hauling out a full-sized piece of motorized equipment.  It uses only a spinning crank, like a salad drier.  This is my THIRD one, but they usually last well over three or four years, so I consider the $20 for each one to be a decent investment. 

The manual food processor doesn’t do a nice, precise fine dice, like a professional chef would.  But it chops the veggies quickly down to a size and shape that really does a great job in a soup.  And I think everybody enjoyed this as a nice change from my “hide-the-veggies” purée soups.

Here’s what it does to veggies:

Celery…

soup 002 soup 003

and Zucchini…!

soup 005 soup 007

I also “processed” onions, carrots (a bit hard on the gears, but once you get going, it’s easy!) and mushrooms – two of each, except the mushrooms (14 of those; I’m like the Rain Man in the kitchen).  (oh, no, wait – I used one DOUBLE-SIZED purple onion for this soup!)

Add the onion first, with a bit of salt, then carrot, celery, zucchini, and mushrooms at the end.  Stir it all around in a big soup pot until it’s very soft, moist and steamy.  There should be lots of liquid on the bottom.

soup 004      soup 010 

Stir in two tins of tomato paste until it’s evenly mixed with the vegetable liquid.

Then, add 4 tbsp (2 x 2!) of Tamari, 2 Tbsp of beef flavoured soup mix, and 2 litres of water.  1/2 (2 x 1/4!) cup each of barley and acini de pepe tiny pastas that a neighbour gave us.

 soup 012

Boil, stirring from time to time, until it thickens into a wonderful soup.  Add 1-2 Tbsp salt and pepper, then 1-2 tsp oregano, thyme, etc., as desired.

The only thing I regret is – no garlic.  If I were to do this again, it would definitely go in at the end of the veggie cooking time.

brownies 005This was QUITE a delicious, thick, hearty winter soup, especially served with fresh, homemade sourdough semolina bread.

Come to think of it, this entire FILLING supper probably cost pennies per person… yay, me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th