Skip to main content

Kosher Cooking Carnival – the Av (Love) edition

Once again, I’ve been selected as the lucky host blogger for the Av (August 1, 2011) edition of kosher cooking carnival-kcc, a monthly round-up of kosher cooking ideas, eats and – who can resist? – treats!

The special thing about this edition, however, is that it’s LATE!  The Three Weeks are traditionally a less-than-fortuitous time for the Jewish people, and this Jewish blogger ushered the season in with a bike accident & broken ankle.  So that’s my excuse!

image I like a theme – who doesn’t?  But it’s hard to come up with one for a month whose most significant date is one in which we go WITHOUT food.  That said, there’s another date in Av - “Tu b’Av” (ט"ו באב), the 15th of Av, traditionally seen as an auspicious date for shidduchim and love matches of all kinds.

Sort of like a Jewish Valentine’s Day – but you didn’t hear that from me.  So:  love, love, love… falling in love with food, all over again.  Ketubahs and Croissants, as it were. 

Anyway, that’s enough from me:  let’s see what you-all have got for us this month!

anything kosher!

image Nothing says lovin’ like a zucchini!  Hmm.  Well, isn’t YOUR garden or local farmer’s market overflowing with fabulous zucchini?  You could make zuke bread, or fry them, or bread them, or stuff them… or shred them for a really unique Marinated Zucchini Salad, presented by Rivki Locker at Kosher Cooking for Ordinary People.

Looking for more salad ideas?  You can find a whole bunch of them rounded up from the bloggy world, in Simple Summer Salads from Leora over at Here in HP.

What do halvah and high school reunions have in common?  Go ask Mirjam Weiss, or read Unique over at her blog, Miriyummy!

image Sharon A presents Summer in the Shuk « The Real Jerusalem Streets posted at The Real Jerusalem Streets's Blog, saying, "Nothing like the food in Machane Yehuda market for Balabusta.”  A great street festival, and a beautiful reflection on Jerusalem past and present.

image Batya presents Eating Kosher on The Go, JFK Airport posted at me-ander.  (Not the most positive food experience of all time… she’s NOT “lovin’ it!”)

Mrs. S. presents The oleh’s folly posted at Our Shiputzim: A Work In Progress.  How did she come into a bread machine, and what does she do with it?   Stop by and find out!

By the way, if you’re in the Baltimore area, Avivah’s making aliyah – and selling off her pantry contents!  Check out Cleaning Out the Pantry at her blog, Oceans of Joy, for reasonable prices on bulk foods – and help support a great family as they resettle in Israel.

desserts

image Mirjam Weiss presents Sweet Summer posted at Miriyummy, saying, "Summer is here!"  Scroll down for her special Creamsicle Ice Cream (pareve or dairy versions).

Looking for a special treat to woo a certain kosher someone?  Look no further than last month’s host, Yosefa (hey, that’s MY Hebrew name, too!) at Cooking Outside the Box, for Reduced-Fat Mini Cherry Pies!

imageIf you’re feeling inspired, you could always take a professional KOSHER baking course at the Centre for Kosher Culinary Arts… next summer.  I’m afraid you’ve missed the boat for this year.  Drat:  I think I could definitely fall in love with A Summer Filled With Pastry!!!

Have you ever wondered which pareve milk was best to use for a sauce, a drink, a dessert?  You’ll love this Pareve Milk Comparison from the experts at the Gourmet Kosher Cooking blog!  Readers are also welcome to leave questions in the comments section, and the blog writers seem very good about answering them.

Every day meals

image  Unless you homeschool (ha ha ha ha), fall will soon be upon us, and for many of us that means PACKING LUNCHES.  Lunches that are nut-free and delicious but stay fresh in punishing backpack conditions.  Tiffany over at FrugalGourmetMom has some great ideas in her post Back to School Lunch Planning… and she invites you to add yours!

Lisa Rose presents Quick Homemade Nutella – Just Three Ingredients! (Dairy-Free) posted at Real Food Digest.  Mmm… chocolate!

phyllis presents Reap What You Sow: Basil into Pesto posted at Ima on (and off) the Bimah.   (p.s.  I tried pesto for the first time at Shavuot… and LOVED it!  We have since harvested our “pesto bush” again and made more!  I really ought to freeze it – even if I don’t have beautiful ice-cube trays like Phyllis does)

And… to welcome us all to the Nine Days (no meat, no wine – what’s a gourmet to do?), there’s a 'Nine Days' Vegetarian Tortilla Soup from Liz Kratz over at Classically KosherimageYou can also find some yummy suggestions for Nine Days dining over at Gourmet Kosher Cooking.

Halacha

Yisrael Medad presents This Post is Not Kosher posted at My Right Word, saying, "This is such a non-kosher story"

What happens when a caterer makes false kosher claims???  Not exactly a blog post, but I researched & wrote it myself and you can read all about it in the Canadian Jewish News.

image Shabbat and Holiday food

imageIt’s always fun to find a new challah recipe!  Well, I found one that sounded a bit more fun than it actually was… but we have been enjoying it every week, sharing it with friends and family, and getting rave reviews.  I posted about it over at my (now sort of infrequent) bread blog, Adventures in Breadland.  (p.s.  this is a NO-KNEAD challah recipe – save yourself all that work in the summertime!)

 Annette Berlin presents Sweet Applesauce Noodle Kugel posted at Craft Stew, saying, "Sweet Applesauce Noodle Kugel is a yummy side dish, that is quick and easy to throw together."

Don’t feel like cooking for a summer Shabbos?  How about a Big Hunk o’ Beef for Shabbos, from my very own blog???  It was my first time making this, but it won’t be the last.  Make it overnight anytime and stick it in the fridge.  You won’t heat up your house (we especially won’t, because the crock pot is in the basement), and you can use up some of that disgusting Pesach Coke.  Doesn’t everybody have lots of that sitting around all year, like we do?

image Restaurant or Cookbook Reviews

My favourite kosher restaurant here in Toronto – for a date or otherwise – is Bistro Grande on Eglinton.  It’s dairy, which may come as a surprise, because usually people think fleishik when they think swanky, but it’s got nice-enough atmosphere, great service (wow!), and the food really is yummy.

Heading to New York?  I did last summer, and ended up eating mediocre kosher Indian food.  Wish I’d had these two reviews by sensible-food maven Batya, freshly returned to Israel after a brief stay stateside.  image What’s she got for us over at her blog,  me-ander?

image I just hope you’re not reading this post on Tisha b’Av!

That concludes this edition. Submit your blog article to the next edition of kosher cooking carnival-kcc using our carnival submission form. Past posts and future hosts can be found on our blog carnival index page.

Stay cool… and Happy Tu b’Av when it gets here, everybody!

Comments

  1. Wonderful job, and thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! What a tasty edition. Thanks for linking to my salads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for including me! Good thing I posted my "Guest Worthy Wednesday" recipe yesterday, just in the nick of time! Great KCC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely brilliant presentation! I love it, so love-ly! Thanks for including my two links. And thanks for focusing on the sweetest day in Av.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great post! Thank you so very much for including me in the Carnival. I'm sorry to hear about your foot and wish you a quick and easy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Refuah Shelaimah to you and your ankle! Great edition and thank you so much for including my mini pies and picture! I meant to submit a review I did of two J'lem restaurants. I hope you'll forgive me if I include a link. It's in the Center Jlem, called Gabriella and it is SO yummy, I'm in love! It's dairy and fish, so good for this week, and perfect for the Tu B'Av date! http://nonrecipe.blogspot.com/2011/07/two-jerusalem-dairy-restaurants.html Have an easy fast, to all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see I made it. Thanks. And thanks for hosting the KCC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a wonderful job. I finally sent out notices to the jbloggers, so you should be seeing more action. thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Glad you liked Summer in the Shuk, but really who likes food and doesn't like the shuk?
    Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the roundup (and for including me!). That pareve milk listing looks especially helpful. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to check out all the links! Thanks for including me.
    WIshing you a speedy recovery!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th