Skip to main content

Cheese Battles: Keeping Score

Here’s the score so far, cheese-wise:

  • 1 mediocre "quick" mozzarella (too tough, not salty enough) – one point for the cheese
  • 1 surreal batch of pink cheese curds – another point for the cheese
  • 1 decent-tasting fresh cheddar wrapped in parchment paper, aging in the “potato room” downstairs – results of this match remain to be determined on sampling in 3 months’ time.
  • 1 batch of “nozzarella”… overheated, turned into ricotta – score one more for the cheese.
  • 1 nice, tasty fresh mozzarella waiting in the fridge! – yay, one point for me… at last!

Highlights of the skirmish so far:

FRESH HOMEMADE CHEDDAR

Impromptu cheese press for the homemade cheddar (no colouring this time, and I made it out of 2L of special organic milk).  Two 2-lb weights, plus a 2-lb can of tomato sauce… probably not enough, but it seems to have done the trick.

DSC02389 DSC02393 

DSC02394 

Wrapping the cheddar and storing in highly sophisticated moisture-controlled basement “cheese cave.” I am supposed to flip it over every day for 3 months, wiping off mold as necessary.  Eek.

DSC02396 DSC02397 DSC02399 

(the paper towel in the cottage cheese tub is releasing a bit of moisture, hopefully just enough, into the air around the cheese)

NOZZARELLA:  The Mozza that Wouldn’t

And now, today’s adventures:  an awful lot of milk… a promising beginning…

DSC02443 DSC02447  DSC02454 

And then – at the microwave stage – total and utter failure to stretch into anything more sophisticated than plain old ricotta:

DSC02455 DSC02456 

Drat!  It’s because the thermometer in the cheesemaking kit (just a reminder that not everything in the kit is kosher – you must order kosher cultures and additives) shows temps only in increments of 4°F… and doesn’t react quickly enough to let me know the temperature is going too high.

MOZZARELLA TAKE 2 (3):  The Mozza that DID!

Hopping back on that horse later in the day with a new (digital) thermometer… starting over:

DSC02457

Eek!  Time for Sara’s birthday party!  I left the cheese draining for about 4 hours.  Which, it turns out, was a VERY GOOD thing.

Here’s the cheese, drained, when I got home at 10 pm.  I love seeing the fabric marks of the cheesecloth on the cheese.

 DSC02495

Microwaved a couple of times for 20-30 seconds each until it was “almost too hot to touch” (you can see I need to wear gloves at this temperature, even though I don’t think I have particularly sensitive hands).

Salt it a bit, test it each time to see if it’s ready to stretch… and YES!  It stretched!

 DSC02497 DSC02499 DSC02501 

That nice, glossy roundish ball at the end is exactly what it’s supposed to look like!

DSC02505

You can see that the yield was excellent, too:  478g is just over a pound, almost 17 ounces, from 4L (just over 1 gallon) of milk.  And the second batch of milk was, weirdly, on sale; I think it was only about $2-3 at Superstore, but I could be wrong.  And here’s the thing:  properly salted, it tasted really, really nice.

So even at the full price of around $5ish for 4L of milk, if it yields over a pound of cheese, that’s half the price of the lousy cheese on the kosher shelves in the supermarket (227g / 8oz for $5.50).  I have definitely wasted a LOT of milk in the process of figuring this thing out – 8L today alone – I can think of it as collateral damage or the price of a home education in cheese. 

The biggest thing I’m learning: you can’t rush cheese.  Also, temperature is very, VERY important: it requires more sticklish precision than breadmaking – taking a mixture from 86° to 108° gradually over a period of 15-20 minutes can be annoying, and there are apparently few shortcuts.

But it’s wonderful to know that at least it is, theoretically, possible to make delightful kosher cheese for not much money!

Comments

  1. That is a good thing to be able to make kosher cheese for a lot less than store prices!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th