Skip to main content

Gingerbread Night!

Hi!  Welcome to my blog!  For some reason, this nondescript entry has become one of my most popular posts of all time.  I have no idea why.  It’s not entirely typical of this blog.  So if you think this is weird and random, click here to get to the REAL excitement.  If you’re here for gingerbread-baking tips, which the blog is NOT about, well, read on.  :-)

(oh, and check out my baking blog here)

gingy 027It’s gingerbread time again!  This is an extremely goyish thing, I know… and yet, and yet.  Being at Pioneer Village last weekend, surrounded by the waft of gingery aromas in all the houses… well, we may be Jews, but we’re also Canadian, and gingerbread is a Canadian thing – NOT an Xmas thing.  Especially if it’s still November while you’re doing it!

I chose an interesting pattern online, for a haunted house, but that’s okay… I like the jaunty angle of the walls, but otherwise, it looked simple enough.

image

(it says to print the squares to one inch – I enlarged it but mine still came out smaller… I was okay with that because it was big ENOUGH)

We mixed up my classic reliable gingerbread recipe.  Naomi helped!

We took an evening walk to my mother’s house to pick up some hard candies.  All she had was Ricola cough drops and some sugar-free ones.  I wasn’t sure if the sugar-free ones would melt properly and/or be disgusting, but I took them anyway.

Rolled it out with a wine bottle instead of the rolling pin because I used butter and I want to keep the rolling pin pareve.

Traced and cut out the pieces (I did most of it – Naomi was dragging the knife and her pieces kept tearing, plus her “straight” lines were wonky)!

 gingy 033gingy 034

Crushed up the Ricola and sugar-free candies to place in the windows – always my favourite part of making the house AND of the finished house.

gingy 028 gingy 029  gingy 031   

I cut out one window in the shape of a letter “N” for Naomi Rivka, and then realized it makes it look like the word NO.  Scary!

Baked the pieces in two batches, and we used a l’chaim cup to cut the extra dough into “coins”.  Here they all are!!!  At this point, I read the kids a story, and put them to bed. 

  gingy 038 

No way I’m doing burnt sugar with kids running around!

gingy 039 gingy 041 

Fastest way to ruin a frying pan!

No pics of this step because I was working so quickly:  glue, glue, glue, glue. 

Smart-person tip from a pro!  This year, I actually remembered to bring up a bunch of food tins from the basement ahead of time to prop up the pieces as they dry.  With burnt-sugar, it only takes a few seconds, but in those few seconds, you will wish you had seventeen hands!  Thank you, evaporated milk!!!

The gingy house looked very nice before I added the vestibule.  We even made a lovely window on the house’s front panel; I forgot that it wouldn’t be visible… we ought to have done one on the vestibule instead.  (doh!)

The vestibule didn’t fit properly:  I had to trim the roof so it would fit snugly, and then I did too much and had to trim the walls a bit also.

And, of course, it looks kind of gross with all the sugar goobered everywhere.  (you can see the colour change in the sugar between the first pieces I glued and the last ones.  The main roof went on last, and it has the darkest sugar.

gingy 043 gingy 044 gingy 045

That chimney is weird.  I should have put it a bit lower down… or maybe left it off entirely.  But really, these photos are quite forgiving – it’s a bit ugly, but I’m not worried!

The true test of a gingy-house is how it lights up.  This one didn’t score so well on that front, I’m afraid.  Pop in two tea lights and… underwhelming.

 gingy 046  gingy 047

Peering into the dark, scary vestibule…!

gingy 049

Oh, yeah… and here’s the original (taken from this site), just for comparison!

image

Nice!!!  Ours is not TOO far off.  And keep in mind that ours still needs to be decorated.  It’ll be fabulous, I promise!

Gingies of the past:

Postscript:  here’s what it looked like with the decorations!

Comments

  1. I didn't grow up Jewish so I have an excuse for the gingerbread house experience. My mother has been trying to convince me for years to make one with my kids. I didn't want to, for obvious reasons. I came up with the idea of making a Noah's Ark out of gingerbread and hopefully will try it out, at a different time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know I love these too, and it doesn't have to be goyish.
    It is house made out of gingerbread, yum. I think the decor is what gives it the non-Jewish flair. I always wanted to make a gingerbread Chabad house with large menorah in front, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a doc of your money sheet that you made with the Canadian money. It looks awesome! I teach French Immersion and need to translate everything so this would be perfect for me and my students.
    Thanks a heap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mme L - uploaded a non-Chanukah version in .docx format, so you can do what you like with it. :-)
    http://www.4shared.com/file/zEqWAnLg/my_Canadian_Money_sheets.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th