Skip to main content

Homeschool Diary #5: 27 Cheshvan, 5771

image

PLEASE JOIN US!  If you teach your kids at home, please add your blog to comments section below!

Other “weekly memes” I participate in that may or may not interest you:

Okay, it’s noon on Thursday.  I’m TERRIBLE at this!  My excuses are that I’ve been sick – still! – and also that I had a couple of writing deadlines that knocked me for a loop.  Anyway, now I have to piece together our week in homeschooling, day by day, from old blog posts and from memory.  Argh!

It’s amazing how much more we’re enjoying Charlotte’s Web than Little House.  It’s not that it’s a better book, and Naomi does love Little House.  But Little House is like a good meal… Charlotte’s Web is like dessert.  I guess you need both, but it means we’re getting through the book really fast, which is nice for a change.

Monday:

  • Morning
    • Swimming
    • Hebrew Reading/Writing:  continue with Kriyah v’Od/קריאה ועוד (Migdalor)
    • Began Telling Time with the Judy Clock
  • Afternoon
  • Evening
    • Ballet class
    • Began watching Horton Hears a Who (science-related, maybe?)
    • Continued Charlotte’s Web

Tuesday:

  • Morning
    • Phonics:  Explode the Code
    • Handwriting Without Tears:  Letters and Numbers for Me
  • Afternoon
    • Outdoor time!
    • Continued Charlotte’s Web
  • Evening
    • Continued Horton Hears a Who…
    • Continued Charlotte’s Web

Wednesday:

Thursday:

  • Morning
    • Me – Still sick!
    • Kids on their own doing crafts, magic show, free play downstairs
    • Begin parsha:  My First Parsha Reader, then narrative/midrashic overview
  • Afternoon
    • Outdoor time:  walk to library
  • Evening
    • Family library time (yes, 2 library trips in one day…)

Friday (Ted home):

  • Morning
    • BRCD Sign with Young Children – last class
  • Afternoon
    • Parsha Review
    • NEW:  Parsha Narration & illustration – I hope!
    • Gdcast parsha video (reward for getting to the narration, which we haven’t successfully done yet; haven’t watched Gdcast in weeks now!)

So, nu…?  What’s YOUR Jewish homeschool family up to this week???

Resources we’re enjoying this week:

image image

image image
image image

My own homemade printables:

image image

So, nu…?  What’s YOUR Jewish homeschool family up to this week???

Comments

  1. Hi

    I love your blog....so much I had been printing out of it, thanks for sharing and taking the time to upload them to google! I love it!

    I am traying to do a jewish homechool. We are not born Jewish..but Iam learning that I could be, maybe a Shepardic. :-)

    Thank You again!
    Enid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm not Jewish. But my Aunt & Uncle are, so does that count?

    I found your blog by way of the Charlotte Mason HS carnival last week (I think.) Anyhow, I wanted to ask this question.

    Do you think it would be hard for me, a 33 year old woman, to learn Hebrew? The American Hebrew Academy is near me and they do offer classes to non-Jews. I've always wanted to learn. I'm just afraid I'll be wayyyy too old!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NormalMiddle ~ my husband, who always believed that he was terrible at languages, began learning Hebrew at age 26. He now speaks pretty well. With dedication, you can do it.

    J ~ do you know the "Pil Pilon" song? It might help you unite your Hebrew and science curricula...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your printables. How do you make those?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Miriam: MSWord, mostly. It has a "save as" PDF feature. Before that, I used a PDF print driver but this is easier. I have a trusty no-name graphic editing program for when the clip art I want needs "fixing" in some way - small or large. :-)

    @Enid: Welcome! There are indeed many "hidden" Jews in Sephardic communities - perhaps even your own. However, from your blog, it seems like you seem to want to meld the two religious traditions (Jewish and Christian); something I cannot support. Please see my earlier posts on "Hebrew-Christianity" here and here. I'm always happy to answer questions or talk about Judaism (I love being Jewish!), but nothing I say here has anything to do with Christian belief or practice.

    @NormalMiddle: Welcome! Your aunt & uncle being Jewish definitely "counts" as having Jewish family! Further to what DecemberBaby said, my dh grew up Catholic and is still working on learning Hebrew. He is terrible with languages, but luckily, Hebrew is one of the easiest. I'm kind of tutoring an older Christian lady and she's only been at it a few weeks and doing great! It's a beautiful language. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @decemberbaby: I hate hate HATE the pil pilon song. Elephants generally learn to walk within the first hour (I checked!) and not because they're frightened because their Abba came home. What is that song ABOUT, anyway??? :-)))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Popular posts from this blog

לימודי קודש/Limudei Kodesh Copywork & Activity Printables

Welcome to my Limudei Kodesh / Jewish Studies copywork and activity printables page.  As of June 2013, I am slowly but surely moving all my printables over to 4shared because Google Docs / Drive is just too flaky for me. What you’ll find here: Weekly Parsha Copywork More Parsha Activities More Chumash / Tanach Activities Yom Tov Copywork & Activities Tefillah Copywork Pirkei Avos / Pirkei Avot Jewish Preschool Resources Other printables! For General Studies printables and activities, including Hebrew-English science resources and more, click here . For Miscellaneous homeschool helps and printables, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you just want to say Thank You, here’s a

Hebrew/ עברית & English General Studies Printables

For Jewish Studies, including weekly parsha resources and copywork, click here . If you use any of my worksheets, activities or printables, please leave a comment or email me at Jay3fer “at” gmail “dot” com, to link to your blog, to tell me what you’re doing with it, or just to say hi!  If you want to use them in a school, camp or co-op setting, please email me (remove the X’s) for rates. If you enjoy these resources, please consider buying my weekly parsha book, The Family Torah :  the story of the Torah, written to be read aloud – or any of my other wonderful Jewish books for kids and families . English Worksheets & Printables: (For Hebrew, click here ) Science :  Plants, Animals, Human Body Math   Ambleside :  Composers, Artists History Geography Language & Literature     Science General Poems for Elemental Science .  Original Poems written by ME, because the ones that came with Elemental Science were so awful.  Three pages are included:  one page with two po

It's Heart Month: 3 days left to save lives!

Dear Friends & Family: Hi, everybody! Sorry I can’t stop by in person... you're a bit out of my area.  :-) We’re out walking up and down on our street on this beautiful afternoon to raise money for Heart & Stroke.  This cause is important to me (I won't say it's close to my heart , because that would be tacky!).  I hope you'll join me by donating online. Growing up, I watched as every single one of my grandparents' lives were shortened by heart disease and strokes, and my father had a defibrillator that saved his life on more than one occasion.  Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 Canadians and are the #1 killer of women. Please click this link to be redirected to my main page at the Heart & Stroke website: http://tinyurl.com/AtlasHeart Thus ends my personal appeal.  Official information follows.  :-))) ----- Heart disease and stroke is the #1 killer of women - taking more women's lives than all forms of cancer combined. But no one is immune. Th